Saturday, May 3, 2008

Second Hand Store Adventure

We were up in Yakima today running some errands and just getting out of Zillah. After doing all our rounds, we decided to take a trip to the second hand store and browse around. So the used store is never a place where people browse and dream, but sometimes you can find some really good deals. As soon as we went in the store, Sophia came up to me and let me know how embarrassed she was to be there.

"Sophia, if anyone you know sees you here then they are also shopping around the store. Don't worry about it." I figure no one is going to go around trying to embarrass her at school without putting themselves on the line. Plus, what so embarrassing about being thrifty? It's the age.

So, we left the store without buying anything. She still kept on saying how embarrassed she was because even though she didn't see anyone she knew, everyone that passes by will recognize our car. OK, we have a car-top carrier on our car that's been there since we moved. It's part of our car...and we just don't have anywhere else to store it. But it is true everyone recognizes our car by the carrier.

Example: We ran into some friends at Target, they saw our car pull into the parking lot and their two year old said "There's Renzo!" This was in Yakima.

Travis and I started to tease her and tell her that with the carnival that was going on down the street, there probably were a few kids from her school that saw us parked at the store as they passed by.

Sophia, " I hope they didn't see us."

As we are passing by the carnival, I start to tell her that I was going to yell out that we are coming from the goodwill. Travis decides to say, "I am going to yell out: Hey everybody Sophia shops second hand!"

Sounds kind of cruel, but we couldn't stop laughing and she couldn't even catch her breath she was laughing so hard. She's a good sport. She knew we really weren't going to do anything, but just the picture of it was enough.

Random:

We had good time the rest of the evening and came home to put our urchin looking children in the bath. Travis had made the comment earlier that they probably make a better fit at the second hand store. Next time I'll have to put signs around them that say "We just came from playing hard at the Park! Please don't turn our Social Work father and mother in!" Sorry, I'm still a bit giddy!!