Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Sunday
I was sitting in Primary on crowd control patrol, when out the corner of my eye I saw someone at one of the windows (our classrooms are down in the basement.) I look to see my four year old, Lorenzo, peering in through the window. Needles to say that I bolted out of primary as fast I could trying to find my way out of the basement. I ran past an older lady in our ward, on the stairs, nearly knocking her down, as I frantically apologize and yell out that my four year old is outside the church building ( our chapel is in a bad part of town.) I burst through the door to see him with his teacher, startling her, and all the rest of his class. I went back down stairs replaying the whole sequence of event in my mind a million times, running into the same lady again in the hall. I stopped and explained what had happened and learned that it could have been worse. Apparently it happened some 20 years before, the police ended up bringing the child from in town, where he had walked to, to a church full of adults searching for this little boy. I went back, sat down, hoping noone else had noticed my sudden disappearance, I didn't want to explain or hear any more stories to keep me up at night. Not so lucky. The Primary president saw it all unfolding from the back of the room, knew the kids were out there with their teacher, but couldn't do anything to stop it. Well, it was the cherry on top of my Sunday, from a very demanding four year old that made every minute hard that day. I came home and took a three hour nap. He was sent to his room for about an half an hour for something that had happened that day that was totally unrelated.... He is this toothless wide mouth little boy that melts my heart and gets away with a lot. The picture in my mind is how he looked. Blue corduroy pants with a white polo and the blue suit jacket that he added on to his ensemble before we left. I didn't notice the suit jacket 'til we were at church. He marches by the beat of some drum and I still haven't figured out the beat.
